Dienstag, 24. April 2012

The Wachau Valley

      I LOVED Italy, but was very happy to come "home" to Vienna--hadn't realized how much I missed it! <3Wien. But only after a week of re-soaking up Vienna I was off to explore other parts of Austria.
      A little over a week ago, on April 14th, I went with many IES students on a day-trip to the Wachau Valley, Austria's wine country, in the Bundesland, Niederösterreich! It was an action-packed day!! I actually forgot to bring my camera, so these are all stolen pics...shout-out to..whoever took these pictures!
      Our first stop was: Melk. There, we toured a monastery that had a library that looked like it was straight out of Beauty and the Beast, as well as one of the most incredibly Baroque churches I've ever seen in my life. (More intense than any I saw in Rome!)
Stift Melk:


View from the abbey
       

       Next, we stopped in Dürnstein, a quaint little town known for its apricots! (among other things) We hiked up a mountain to some castle ruins where Richard the Lionhearted was once held prisoner. As a friend so rightfully described the hike, it was quite literally breath-taking. (Gorgeous view, but a steep climb!..but well worth it!)
<---Castle Dürnstein
There I go!



     After climbing up every rock we could find and soaking in the glorious view of the Danube/valley, we made our way back down to the bus for our next destination: Krems. In Krems, we went in a museum that offered history on the region, but honestly, following the museum, I was just happy to hunker down in a coffee house for a warm pick-me-up, since it had started to rain.


    We finished the day with a wine-tasting and a traditional Heurigen night! The Wachau region of Austria is known for its favorable land for vineyards. You could see terraced vineyards out the bus window stretching for miles! In the wine cellar, we were able to taste 4 different wines, both white and red, and then the family hosted us for a dinner, and gave us opportunities to buy their wine following dinner. It was the perfect end to the perfect day!

Wine cellar


Heurigen night!









Ich liebe Österreich! I love Austria!!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen