Sonntag, 18. März 2012

R.I.P. Schoenberg

       So we spent the better part of our sunny Friday afternoon lost in the Vienna's largest cemetery, the Zentralfriedhof. You're probably wondering....why?? And that is a valid question. BUT. There was a reason behind the madness, and that was to see where 4 very famous musicians were buried: Beethoven, Schubert, Johann Strauss, and Schoenberg.
Schoenberg's grave

       Now, I really just wanted to find Beethoven's grave, lay a flower on it, shed a tear, and call it a day. Julia, likewise, was on a mission to find Schubert's grave. HOWEVER. This cemetery was FAR larger than we had anticipated. We even saw deer running through it, for crying out loud! There wasn't really a clear map, and the woman told us that if we walked to the church in the second part of the cemetery we'd find the musicians' graves. Had no idea what a daunting task this would be.
      After hours and hours, we gave up. But we DID find Schoenberg's grave! (And no offense to Schoenberg--may he rest in peace--but his grave was the one I was the least interested in finding!!) Nevertheless, I laid a flower on his grave and paid my respects. Hopefully this will make up for all the times I have a difficult time paying attention in my Schoenberg class! Hopefully...

2 Kommentare: