Sonntag, 26. Februar 2012

Some things I just won't understand

         I don't mean to get too philosophical...But I've come to the realization that some things are just beyond my comprehension.
...but maybe that's not a bad thing.
        Today was the last day of the Magritte surrealism exhibit at the Albertina Museum, so my roommate, Julia, and I decided to check it out. I've heard of Magritte before and I've seen some of his famous "self-portraits" and other such paintings where objects (like an apple) obscure the face of a bowl hat-wearing man. But I really haven't seen too many of his other works, or know much about them. Magritte's art was incredibly thought-provoking. Almost too thought-provoking!

 -The idea that objects can't really be appreciated until they're taken and viewed outside of their normal context.
-The idea that parts of an object can only be truly looked at when viewed aPART from the object.
-The idea that nothing can ever be considered to be realism, because everything is on on some level, a mere abstract interpretation of reality.
-The idea that we view the world as something outside of our knowledge, and yet the world can only be experienced internally...
..SO MANY ideas being thrown at me! They're really interesting to mull over, and Magritte's artwork in turn, was also very interesting--especially when paired with their titles. But it was a lot to take in!

It gets you thinking. I don't really know if I like thinking about the question of reality.
<-- Like..to say this isn't a pipe! I mean, of course it isn't because you can't actually put tobacco in it and smoke it...and I'll agree it's merely a painting..but after all, it IS a painting of a pipe. So I, personally, feel fine calling it a pipe! Is it really so bad to take things at face-value?? And does it matter that much?

After the Magritte exhibit we looked through some Impressionist paintings on another floor and I remembered why I appreciate Renoir so much. Impressionists look to capture moments with light. Renoir has so many light-hearted depictions of the world and people. It's hard not to like it. Does it make me "less cultured" if I tend to gravitate towards art that doesn't force me to think so hard?? haha. Is it simple-minded of me to admit that I like beautiful things, and not necessarily symbolic images that force me to confront the way I view the world?
Probably. Oh well....I'm 20 years old, I'm allowed to be idealistic right?? (And what is realistic ANYWAYS??!?!)

Still. At least I can say I appreciate the challenge of Magritte. I'd have to look at it a lot more to even come close to a partial understanding of his work. A lot of it DEFINITELY went over my head. (Too bad today was the last day of Magritte at Albertina.)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen