Donnerstag, 19. Januar 2012

Ich gehe gern ins Kaffeehaus!


            Well…here I am. I caved and made a blog. Woops! Should’ve done this in the US instead of waiting until now. (Attempting to navigate German-language Google isn't something I bargained for. Although I’m sure there’s a way around this internet language barrier that I’m not savvy enough to discover..) Trotzdem, it is good practice. And now officially I can say that Mein Blog wurde erstellt!

Before I go any further, I’ll confirm right off what you’re dying to know: YES, the coffee in Vienna is incredible. Dunkin Donut’s won’t ever be the same. In fact, we’re learning in German class right now a little about the Viennese Kaffeehaus culture as well as the terms to go along with it. Now I can expertly order my favorite beverages and confidently inquire, “Wie viel kostet das?”  Speaking of….I SHOULD be memorizing our Kaffeehaus skit for class tomorrow..


        
But as much as our classes emphasize not being so outwardly “American” and encourage casually striking up conversations with local Austrians, I have to say…it’s much harder than it looks. The only Austrians (who aren’t affiliated with the program) that I’ve spoken with, I’ve either asked for directions or ordered food from. Still….at least I spoke German! I guess it will come more naturally in time. It’s hard though, because at the beginning, students are panicking and frantic to make friends. So they/we’ll go out for lunch in groups of 6 or 8, inadvertently loud, and very English-speaking groups of people! ("Sprechen Sie Englisch, bitte??") Many times I’ve had waiters bring over, albeit with an enormous friendly smile, English menus right from the off, because they don’t even want to bother with our inadequate German-speaking skills.
took this pic today!
            So that’s why I wandered off on my own today. Hadn’t seen Stephansplatz yet so I meandered down Johanessgasse to the main shopping area of the first district to do some exploring. We’ve been so wrapped up in classes and meetings and hanging with new friends, that I haven’t had the time to truly feel situated. (I’m still on the search for mein Leiblingskaffeehaus!...Bitte.)
             But it was so excellent! I could really blend into the crowd. Being tall and blonde in Austria isn’t anything to gawk at, and being greeted with “Grüß Gott!” instead of a hearty “HALLO!” was truly tremendous.
            But after my brief exploration of the Kärntner Ring, I have to say I was profoundly disappointed with the souvenir selection. How hard is it to find a shot glass with a Beethoven silhouette on it? (tacky but classy!) I don’t want any of this “I <3 Vienna” garbage! But in all seriousness. The only remotely cool thing I’ve seen so far in souvenir shops (aside from the obvious delicious chocolate) is a Music Sudoku book…that uses solfege syllables instead of numbers…kinda clever. So as of now, if anyone’s expecting Vienna souvenirs, just know that I’m going to need to get creative…prepare yourself. 
 But don't worry, I'll definitely be returning with chocolate. After a particularly discouraging practice session, I promptly took a nap on the floor and left to buy some Milka chocolate. Guess you could say I'm handling Vienna well!(?)


Tomorrow is Friday! And TGIF! I’ll be done with class by noon. So maybe I’ll finally have time to buy some groceries! I’ve been struggling through 3 hours of German in Vienna every morning on an empty stomach learning about Kaffeehaus terms like: Käseomelette. (CHEESE OMELETTE YUM. MAN AM I HUNGRY. WHEN DOES CLASS GET OUT?? OMELETTE.) In the most extreme moments of hunger this subject of learning feels like cruel and unusual punishment. Then I realize that the IES Center is in District 1 of Vienna and that I’m literally taking classes in a Viennese PALACE. (pictures to come). At which point I stop complaining, admire the ornate paneling of my classroom, and plot my next food excursion.
However, my knowledge of food terms auf Deutsch is severely lacking. So far I’ve just ordered foods that sound potentially interesting (or fall within the realm of my pronunciation capacity) and hope for the best. (Ein, Sandwich, bitte??) So far so good!

…After this week, there will be only 2 more weeks of “intensive German” I’m really looking forward to starting regular classes and establishing a routine. I still feel like I’m floundering somewhat. (Although, floundering in a culture filled with Döner Kebabs and Apfelstrudel isn’t something I can complain about in good conscience.)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen