Sonntag, 29. Januar 2012

Another First

        This morning I went to the Hofmusikkapelle to hear the Vienna Boys' Choir sing at High Mass!! The chapel is situated in the oldest part of the Hofburg castle, and the choir is accompanied by members of the Vienna State Opera orchestra and choir! First rank musicians.                  
        I won't lie, I wasn't following the mass too well. Although I'm becoming more comfortable with
(This is me in my carriage
German every day, the German word for, say, "salvation" isn't quite in my arsenal.
      So instead I fantasized that it was 1790 because the moment I entered the chapel, I felt like I was in the movie Amadeus! The chapel wasn't grossly ornate, but it had a chandelier, a lovely alter, and the celestial sounds of the Boys' Choir.   I pretended that my horse and carriage had been thundering through the cobbled streets of Vienna battling sheets of bone-chilling rain. We made it on time to Mass. (I pretended like I was Salieri lamenting my tormented life and repenting to God!!! Hearing the heavenly sounds of the Viennese Boys Choir and begging God to bequeath me with musical genius like Mozart.) I am on my knees, hear my prayer!! Oh what I wouldn't give to compose music as divine as this! I was very, very absorbed in these thoughts for the first 15 minutes--Withhold judgement please ;) In actuality, it's a brisk, partly-cloudy day in Vienna and I don't have any all-consuming angst and despair even remotely comparable to Salieri. (details, details...) I'm Salieri!
        But then, 20 minutes in to the service or so, I fainted. (Not kidding!) I felt a wave of nausea and dizziness hit my head--I thought I was falling asleep, but actually I was just falling...onto the poor woman in front of me--guess I was dehydrated? And I just sort of slumped over. I spent the remainder of the mass sitting on the floor in a daze. Salieri got taken down.  It was actually kind of embarrassing, I've never fainted in public before! But to add to my list of firsts, I can now say: I've fainted in mass at the Hofburgkapelle. Even though I felt terrible, the music still sounded wonderful from the floor! (...) Now to get some sleep and some H20 in my system....
(Me as Salieri. Not looking too good...)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen