Sonntag, 29. Januar 2012

"I didn't realize this was the permanent residence of Sister Act"

       
      Every now and then I'm startled to remember that Vienna is a modern city. It's steeped in so much history spanning from as far back as the Roman Empire. Of course, the time period I prefer to associate Vienna with is the 18th and 19th Centuries--replete with palaces, horse and buggies, royal balls, Don Giovanni, and all of those romanticized things. 
   But then I'll walk by a McDonald's, or a Forever 21, housed in ornate buildings on Kärnter Straße and I'm thrown for a little bit of a loop. (MOZART DID NOT EAT AT MCDONALD'S). But I like it. I appreciate the old mixed with the new--it's what makes Vienna so unique. The train system, the U Bahn (which I am proud to say I can successfully navigate comfortably on my own!) is far more convenient than having to take a horse and carriage to school every morning. And yet something tells me that if that were to be my daily method of transportation, I would NOT complain. ;)

^For example, seeing a musical house that puts on performances of Sister Act (I kid you not!), adjacent to a Kaffeehaus is sometimes off-putting! (McDonald's is just down the street.)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen